Mercury Filling Removal: Detox Support
With all the controversy over mercury fillings I have been reading about lately, I would like to take a moment to just briefly summarize the basics of safe mercury amalgam removal, as well as how to support the natural elimination of mercury from your body.
I tend to be very conservative in my thinking as a naturopathic physician, and hope that my patients and readers go about having their mercury amalgams replaced sensibly, and slowly over time. The rationale for this, is that you are likely exposed to much more mercury in the removal process than what is released from chewing your food or grinding your teeth.
At Emedicine you can read more about the signs and symptoms of mercury toxicity.
Below are key points to ensure your fillings are safely removed, followed by tips to help safely eliminate mercury from your system.
Safety Considerations for the removal of mercury amalgams:
- Do NOT have all your mercury fillings replaced at once. Have a few removed every six months minimum.
- Between visits support your detoxification pathways.
- A dental dam MUST be properly placed to ensure that aerosolized mercury does not contaminate your airway.
- Wear protective eye wear during the drilling process.
- Do NOT have your amalgams removed immediately before a planned conception. Doing so will likely be more harmful as again, removing the amalgams immediately increases the toxic load of mercury in your system. Give your body at least a year to process out all the mercury before a planned pregnancy.
- Composite fillings, the healthier alternative, are primarily made of silicone and quartz. They will not be as durable and lasting as a metal amalgam. Your dentist will test their integrity at regular check ups.
Natural ways to aid detoxification of mercury from the body:
- Eat a High Fiber Diet. Fiber binds heavy metals and aids elimination through the bowel.
- Drink plenty of water. 60-80 ounces of water daily should ensure adequate hydration which is key on a high fiber diet and detox.
- Take vitamin C 1000mg three times daily to protect tissues from the harmful effects of mercury.
- SWEAT! Exercise and saunas are a great way to eliminate heavy metals. Sauna for twenty minutes daily.
- Eat your greens. Green veggies, green drinks, and chlorophyll rich foods are fabulous natural chelators for heavy metals. Add cilantro to your diet liberally as it is a known herb to bind toxic metals. Blue green algae such as chlorella and spirulina (organic only) can be taken as a supplement to further assist the chelation process. Increase the dose slowly over time.
- Eat Liver Support Foods.
- Do a Detox Diet to support your system after the removal of the amalgams for a week or so, then switch to Detox Maintenance. If you cannot follow such a regimented plan try a Spring Cleaning.
Remember, it is not an “emergency” that these fillings are removed. However, I have suspected for quite some time that at some point the ADA will be forced to change their position on mercury amalgams. Doing so, will be a huge financial burden on the American “sick care” system, and thus will take a great deal of time and literature for a safer stance to finally be made official on mercury.
As a biochemist and physician, I say why bother to wait around for the “old boys club” to make their decisions on how to deal with the politics surrounding this widely recognized mercury problem. If it is not good for children or pregnant women, then it is not good for anyone else either!
~ Dr. Nicole Sundene