Vegetarian Lunches and Snacks for Children
I interviewed my friend Heidi, the author of Healthnut Mom Wannabee for some ideas of what vegetarian items she packs in her children’s lunches.
Be sure to try these new lunch ideas at home first before leaving your kids stranded in the cafeteria with some “freaky lunch” that other kids may make fun of as discussed in my article “55 Healthy School Lunch Ideas”.
For the first few weeks of school, be sure to pack all their most familiar and favorite foods before making any major changes.
Heidi, what are your ultimate goals with a vegetarian lunch menu?
Thank you so much for asking me about my kids healthy lunches and snacks. Both of my daughters (2 and 5) are very particular about what they eat so sometimes I have to be creative and convince them that blueberries are just as delicious as candy.
Both of my daughters are vegetarians and I do try to buy most everything that I can afford organic for them as I read and believe that since children have faster metabolisms, and less varied diets they are more prone to damage. I do my best but there are days when despite my best efforts they want Doritos.
Heidi, what are your girls’ favorite vegetarian lunches?
- Whole wheat tortilla with vegetarian refried beans, organic cheese and salsa-quick, easy and delicious.
- Peanut butter and jelly on whole wheat bread, Banana and organic cheese puffs (make sure to read the ingredients on the breads because some aren’t exactly as they read). I always make sure the jelly is 100% fruit and if possible organic.
- Hummus with pita bread, apple and a piece of organic cheese-simple and delicious!
- Vegetarian chili loaded with vegetables in a thermos, a bagel and her favorite fruit of the day-one of Ava’s favorite lunches.
- Vegetarian bologna,turkey or ham with a slice of organic cheese, lettuce and tomato on whole wheat bread, granola bar and blue corn tortilla chips.
- Vegetarian BLT on whole wheat bread with provolone cheese (morning star veggie bacon), dried fruit, spinach salad with nuts. To be fair, neither of the kids like the spinach salads so I am slowly trying to introduct them.
- Guacomole dip with blue corn tortilla chips,bottled natural fruit smoothie (can’t remember the name, and nuts.
Thanks so much Heidi, for stopping by the kitchen table to share that with us!
Remember that your children don’t need meat at every meal, they just need a balanced protein source such as beans and rice, beans and corn, or nuts and whole grains to ensure the full complex of essential amino acids needed to support growth.
Please leave any other suggestions or links to vegetarian school lunches in the comments sections for other parents to enjoy!
For more of Heidi’s great healthy eating tips, simply stop by her website at http://www.healthnutwannabeemom.blogspot.com
Resources: “Vegetarian Sources of Protein”, “The Top Five Nutrients Vegetarians Should Watch Out For”
Thanks for stopping by my kitchen table!
~Dr. Nicole Sundene