My Basic Vitamin Program
“What Vitamins Should I Take?”
Is the most common question I get as a Naturopathic Physician.
I typically believe the average person that doesn’t eat “perfectly” ie:
- Eats the “Basic American Diet” (BAD) of white refined, processed foods
- Doesn’t consume 5-9 servings of fruits and veggies daily
- Eats Fast Food several times a week
- Does not achieve 25 grams of fiber daily (most Americans get about 9 grams)
- Drinks, smokes, or uses drugs
- Doesn’t exercise
- Feels chronically fatigued
- Are over the age of 65…or feel like it!
Should be on a Basic Supplement Protection Plan:
- A whole food, high quality multivitamin taken as directed (to save money you can take half the recommended dose unless you are fatigued or don’t eat well.)
- 1 tsp of fish oil daily or 1-2 capsules daily with food (NOT for pregnant women due to high vitamin A content. Those with inflammatory disease need 1-2 tablespoons or capsule equivalent)
- Probiotic capsule 1 daily (Pharmax is my favorite) Twice daily if IBS, colitis, chronic diarrhea, constipation, food allergies etc are a problem. Especially if you do not consume a daily dose of fermented foods such as yogurt, kefir, and kim chee.
- Antioxidant formula if not eating fruits and veggies or suffer from an inflammatory condition.
- Fiber Formula OR I prefer 1-3 tablespoons of freshly ground flaxseeds….purchase flaxseeds at a natural grocery store in the bulk section and grind in a coffee grinder right before adding to a smoothie, yogurt, juice, soups, or salads….just don’t heat them over 100F.
- An anti-stress/anti-anxiety formula if stress is zapping your energy. I love the herb schisandra for most patients as stated in my article “The Fifteen Most Fabulous Herbal Sedatives.”
- Most vegetarians should consider a protein powder supplement to insure the proper amino acid profile, this is VERY important for the average vegan. Especially if you tend to get sick often, feel tired constantly, have weak and brittle hair and nails
This simple plan should keep the average person feeling fabulous, energetic, and help PREVENT disease. Remember to take your supplements WITH food unless otherwise stated so that the body can optimally utilize and digest them.