Diet For Interstitial Cystitis
Be sure to see your physician if you think you suffer from the chronic urgency, frequency, and burning pain involved in these conditions.
1. For rapid relief of discomfort, take 1 teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in one cup of water. This helps to prevent urine acids from interacting with damaged tissue.
2. Drink plenty of water to dilute urine.
3. Ice packs or heating pads may help to ease pain.
4. The foods listed below contain amino acids and/or other acids which contribute to bladder destruction and discomfort. Some foods may be more irritating for certain individuals than others. Avoid all foods listed below until symptoms have resolved:
Foods to be Avoided
- Apple juice
- Brewer’s Yeast
- Carbonated drinks
- Cheeses (all)
- Chicken livers
- Chilies/spicy foods
- Citrus fruits
- Corned beef
- Fava beans
- Lemon juice
- Lima beans
- Nutrasweet (Aspartame)
- Nuts (except pine nuts)
- Pickled herring
- Rye bread
- Sour cream
- Soy sauce
- Vitamins buffered with aspartate
Resource and Recommended reading: Gillepsie, M.D., Larrian, “You Don’t Have to Live With Cystitis.”Dr. Nicole Sundene, NMD is a licensed Naturopathic Medical Doctor at Fountain Hills Naturopathic Medicine 16719 E Palisades Blvd, Suite 205, Fountain Hills, AZ 85268.
She believes we should utilize natural medicines to treat the root cause of disease rather than just treating symptoms, as symptoms are a message of imbalance sent from the body and will persist until they are properly addressed.
For appointments please visit http://FHnaturopathic.com for more information about Naturopathic Medicine services.
©KitchenTableMedicine.com, LLC ™