Herpes Simplex Diet
Enhancement of the immune status is key to the prevention and control of herpes infection. A diet that avoids arganine-rich foods while promoting lysine-rich foods can be quite effective.
Foods to Emphasize
Especially during active cases of Herpes
- Dairy products if not allergic to them (Cheese, Yogurt, Kefir, Cottage Cheese, Sour Cream, Milk).
- All Fish & Seafood
- Organ Meats
- Brewers Yeast
Foods to be Eaten with Discretion
These foods must be balanced with L-Lysine* and foods in the first group when herpes is inactive. During active herpes, these foods must be eliminated.
- Whole grain products (Cereals, Bread, Pasta, Pancakes, Lentils, Barley and other Grains.
- Peas & Beans
- Chick Peas
- Foods containing seeds (Eggplant, Tomato, Squash)
- Fruits and Berries, which contain seeds, may be eaten.
- Citrus Fruits (may irritate canker sores)
* Foods high in lysine include most vegetables, legumes, fish, turkey, and chicken.
Foods to Always Avoid
- Peanuts and Peanut Butter
- Cakes and Sweets
- Coffee & Tea
- Nuts (Almonds, Brazil Nuts, Cashews, Filberts, Pecans, Walnuts)
- Seed Meal (Tahini, Sesame Butter)
- Sunflower Seeds
- Bleached White Flour Foods